Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Remembering the Chicago Sports Review Website Start (Should I use the name of Mario Scalise or not?)

     Here's what happened between Mario Scalise & myself when he was the
website editor at the Chicago Sports Review (CSR). Back in late 2003/early
2004, he posted to some message boards about how writing for the CSR website was a great
way to open doors towards becoming a professional sports writer. I
signed up and right from the start, he stressed that quantity of
submissions was every bit as important to him as the quality. 

     My first submission was entitled "NHL Blues" and was published right
away virtually intact. Only problem is that it did not have my byline on it
which is important since if you're not getting paid for it, you do want
to at least be able to show it to your friends with your name on it. I
contacted him about it and he promised that the byline would be added
right away. He failed to do so despite making promises.  

     My next submission was entitled "Cubs Chances Slimmer Than You Think"
that was published minus the paragraphs about how there was a good
chance that pitchers Mark Prior and Kerry Wood would be unable to pitch
at their 2003 form .  Once again, my byline was missing. I
contacted Scalise about it, he made promises to fix it right away and
then did nothing. 

     A bit later on, I submitted a piece about the Chicago Blackhawks and
received no response from him. A week later on or so I wrote a reminder
to him about it asking for what its status was and did not receive a
response back. A bit later, I made another submission and once again,
received the silent treatment. 

     Over a month later, Scalise once again posted to some boards touting his
website as a place for aspiring sports writers. This time, I responded
by posting about my experience with both him and the CSR. He responded
in an arrogant manner in which he made it clear that he saw nothing
wrong with recruiting folks and then leaving them in the lurch and the
like. He also claimed that he was an overworked college student who did
not have the time to read through all the submissions. This makes you
wonder why he made a big deal about how quantity was so important to him
in the first place. Another thing is that, like his email to the group,
he claimed that I was a liar without providing a specific thing that I
was supposedly lying about. His response backfired since he made a
better case for his being an editor that you did not want to work with
than I ever could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment