Sunday, December 13, 2015

Facebook Fraud

     One thing that I discovered today on Facebook is a button labelled "Friend Requests."  Naturally, I assumed that these were all friend requests that other folks had made of myself.  So, I clicked on the button and discovered hundreds of what were represented as friend requests involving folks who I have never met or even heard of.  Of the people involved that I had actually encountered, they were all from individuals who I just barely knew.  There was not a single friend request from anyone who I knew even halfway well.  All of these people were represented as being friends of folks who I had already friended (is that a word?) or individuals who were friends of other persons who had friend requests in.

     After looking over the list, I picked out a couple individuals to approve and clicked on one of them.  To my great surprise, instead of saying something like, "Friend Request Approved," it instead said, "Friend Request Sent."  In other words, all these so-called friends requests were not made by actual persons, but instead by some kind of weird algorithm of persons who Facebook feels ought to be my friends.

If that isn't completely fraudulent, then I don't know what is.  What's even worse is that I don't have the slightest idea just why they would do this in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment